2018. január 21., vasárnap

The Best Albums of 2017

5. P!nk - Beautiful Trauma
When P!nk's newest studio album was released in October, I promised myself not to include it on my year-end album list because it was probably one of the biggest musical disappointments ever. After The Truth About Love turned out to be quite simply one of the best albums of the decade, P!nk made fans wait more than five years for a follow-up (not counting the mediocre folk-record rose ave.). This meant that when it became official that the singer's seventh album, Beautiful Trauma would be released eventually, I got so excited that I even forgave the lead single, What About Us for sounding nothing like P!nk. But what I couldn't ignore was that the album itself followed suit and had probably one daring song on it - out of the 13. I just can't understand how the same woman who made kick-ass rock hits like Blow Me (One Last Kiss) or Slut Like You and ballads like Where Did the Beat Go and Try changed so much between two albums. I'm not saying Beautiful Trauma doesn't have its moments - the title track could stand on TTAL as well, and the harmonies and lyrics in Whatever You Want are amazing, but the entire record just feels like P!nk's fire is being tamed and it just makes me sad to see some of the brightest flames in today's music scene being put out. As for the reason why I chose this as the 5th best album of the year: even as her worst record in almost 15 years (since 2003's Try This), the lyrics and the incredibly deep emotions behind her songs make it something special.
Awesome ones: Beautiful Trauma, Whatever You Want, For Now
Not that good ones: Revenge, Better Life, I Am Here, You Get My Love

4. PVRIS - All We Know of Heaven, All We Need of Hell
PVRIS is one of the artists I discovered this year, but I quickly grew to like the band's style that reminded me a bit of Florence + the Machine's. I listened to both of their albums quite a lot, but I must say that they grew more mature for the second one, All We Know of Heaven, All We Need of Hell. It is a well-developed, well-flowing album that stays coherent throughout but still avoids becoming boring. This consistency, however, iHeaven at the very beginning and find ourselves in a 9-track clutter from which no single song quite stands out.
s probably also the album's greatest weakness, as due to all of the songs being equally good, no track is great. We move past the best song on the record,
Awesome ones: Heaven, Half, Nola 1
Not that good ones: Same Soul, No Mercy

3. Paloma Faith - The Architect
I had already said goodbye to my Paloma Faith fandom after her third album, A Perfect Contradiction only had one single good song on it, and after the lead single of this newest record was annoying and dissonant. But the second Architect single, Guilty brought back some hope, as it reminded me of the perfect heartbreak of Fall to Grace. And in the end, the singer's fourth album turned out to be great, but in quite a surprising way. While it has its sad moments, it is nothing like the pouring depression of Paloma's greatest songs like Only Love Can Hurt Like This or When You're Gone. It is rather a unique pop record that stays away from the mainstream with its unusual and retro-like harmonies and instrument choices. Never in a thousand lifetimes would I have thought to love a Paloma Faith album because of its bops, but WW3 and Tonight's Not the Only Night do bring the party. Never do fear though, songs like Guilty and Warrior still have that inherent sadness everyone loves Paloma so much for.
Awesome ones: The Architect, Guilty, WW3, Tonight's Not the Only Night
Not that good ones: Crybaby, Lost and Lonely, Still Around, Power to the Peaceful

2. Nothing But Thieves - Broken Machine
Nothing But Thieves being my favourite band, Broken Machine was probably the album I was looking forward to the most this year. After the guys' first record, I had really high expectations for this follow-up, which the band didn't quite manage to live up to. Nevertheless, while Broken Machine is nowhere near the perfection of the band's self-titled, it is a fair album with tons of great songs ranging from kick-ass pop-rock hits to riffs that are comparable to those of Muse and to heartbreaking ballads that have been working so well for the band since their very beginnings. The only problem with the record is that, while it is home to some of my favourite songs of 2017, it has some really weak tracks as well. The album's great start is broken by the mediocrity of the title track, and while the ultimate hit Live Like Animals brings back some of the greatness, it is taken away yet again by the boredom of Soda. All in all, Broken Machine as an album isn't the best it could be, but as a collection of tracks, it is simply awesome. Bonus: Broken Machine wins this year's award for the most beautiful album cover.
Awesome ones: Sorry, Live Like Animals, I'm Not Made by Design, Hell Yeah, I Need Air
Not that good ones: Broken Machine, Soda, Number 13

1. Lorde - Melodrama
In 2017, the number one spot on my album list is less surprising than ever because anyone who met me last year heard me say at least once how amazing Lorde's second album was. I fell in love with the record long before it was even released, as the lead single, Green Light instantly turned into one of my favourite songs ever. It introduced the album quite perfectly with its flawless blend of glory and depression that characterizes Melodrama throughout. It is an album that makes you want to dance, sing and cry at the same time while giving you a new eargasm with each song. While the feeling of the record is what makes it truly special, its lyrical and musical genius can't be ignored either. With lines like "I am your sweetheart psychopathic crush" and harmonies like the piano's entrance into Green Light's chaos, it is simply perfect.
Awesome ones: Green Light, The Louvre, Writer in the Dark, Supercut
Not that good ones: Liability (Reprise)

1 megjegyzés: