2014. december 27., szombat

Best songs of 2014 [English]

Before I start with my chart of the best songs of 2014, I'd like to shortly summarize the year in music a little bit. In my opinion, 2014 was a really weak year in music, which is perfectly proved by the difference in the quality of the songs mentioned in my year-end charts last year and this year, and the pathetic Grammy-nominees.

25.) Ariana Grande – Problem (feat. Iggy Azalea)
Ariana Grande is the newcomer and one of the most successful artists of the year; however, I don’t like her at all. She is so fake with her innocent-girl image, and, furthermore, her voice is just terrible: when she goes up to the high notes, all my windows shatter. However, I must say that Problem is the best song of hers and one of the best songs of the year. But because of the annoyingness of her voice, it can only be #25.

24.) Jessie J – Said Too Much
Jessie J hoped for a huge comeback this year after the flop of Alive; however, with her new nothing-special record, Sweet Talker, she didn’t manage to do it. There are only a few really good songs on the album (Masterpiece, for example), and the best one is Said Too Much with its deep start and breakthrough-chorus.

23.) Shakira – Can’t Remember to Forget You (feat. Rihanna)
2014 kicked off with the duet of the decade: Shakira and Rihanna together in one song. However, despite the greatness and talent of the two singers, the single isn’t such a smash as one would expect. Without the collaboration of Rihanna, it wouldn’t be good at all. Yet, it deserves a place on my chart.

22.) Clean Bandit – Rather Be (feat. Jess Glynne)
For me, Clean Bandit is one of the biggest newcomers of the year: their unique idea of combining classical instruments with dance/house elements caught me at first, and their first hit, Rather Be is a well-written and produced catchy song, which definitely is one of the best party-hits of the year. However, it’s not their best record.

21.) Clean Bandit – Dust Clears (feat. Noonie Bao)
At #21, here is Clean Bandit’s best song, Dust Clears, which shows the uniqueness of the band perfectly with the kick-drums and the strong violin harmonizing into something amazing. However, the Daft Punk-alike parts of the song are really weak and they decrease the song’s quality a lot. Without those, the song could be in the top10 on my year-end chart, but like this, it only earned the 21st position.


20.) Lana Del Rey – Is This Happiness
Lana Del Rey’s new CD contains several incredible songs, however, because of the many forgettable and even bad ones, the album isn’t that good as it could be. Is This Happiness is one of the amazing tracks on Ultraviolence, and it is a pity that it is only some strange (maybe Fnac?) bonus track for only a small audience. The deep sadness in both the song’s music and lyrics catches the listener immediately.

19.) Lana Del Rey – Fucked My Way Up to the Top
Another great song off Lana’s Ultraviolence, I love its fast, yet Lana-ish genre. I listened to this one more than I dare to admit. One of the songs of my summer. Also, the title kicks ass.

18.) Gwen Stefani – Baby Don’t Lie
Gwen Stefani’s return single, Baby Don’t Line is widely considered to be “nothing special”, but it somehow caught me with its stressful drums, its great upbeat rhythm and its nostalgic atmosphere. When I listen to it, I feel like wandering on a road paved with my nicest memories. After the eternal classic, Hollaback Girl, this is Gwen’s second best song ever.

17.) Pixie Lott – Lay Me Down
Pixie Lott’s newest, self-titled album is so nothing-special that after the 5th song, I can’t help but drift away. Luckily, however, Lay Me Down is the 2nd track on the album, so I am still able to pay attention to the awesomeness of it. Everyone needs a song to cheer them up, and for me, this one is Lay Me Down.

16.) Iggy Azalea – Black Widow (feat. Rita Ora)
I don’t like Iggy, I never did. Surprisingly, this one is the second song of hers on my chart. But I don’t like this one because of her, but because of the amazing Rita Ora. The best parts of the track definitely are the pre-chorus and chorus sung by Rita: I love everything about them, the melody, the music, the singer’s voice, and even the at first strange 2-beat difference between the lyrics and the music. However, I don’t like Iggy’s part that much and that is the reason why the song didn’t earn a higher position on my chart.

15.) Calvin Harris – Outside (feat. Ellie Goulding)
Outside is the ultimate party hit of 2014 for me. Whenever I hear it I can’t help but imagine myself in a nightclub dancing to the song. Its music is one of Calvin Harris’ bests, and Ellie is incredible as always. Gotta love it!

14.) Rita Ora – I Will Never Let You Down
Another Calvin-produced song is the return single of Rita Ora, which did not catch me at first to be honest; but with more listens, I realised, I actually love the British singer’s latest hit. Hearing it live also helped me get to love it, since it is an awesome song to party to on concerts.

13.) Lorde – Yellow Flicker Beat
Lorde and The Hunger Games Soundtrack created something incredible last year as well, so I was thrilled when they announced that Lorde will perform several tracks on Mockingjay soundtrack. However, I never imagined the song to be so awesome. It is upbeat, yet is Lorde’s style. I love how it starts so slowly and mysteriously, and breaks in with the chorus. Lorde is really talented, and she shows that off with this one very well.

12.) Chlöe Howl – Rumour
I didn’t know Chlöe until she opened for Ellie Goulding on her concert in Vienna: she was the best opening act, I’ve ever heard. Her style, her songs caught me at first, and I listened to the studio versions as soon as I got home the next day. Rumour became my favourite, and although its lyrics are not the best, it is a catchy pop tune with several cathartic parts. Chlöe should be among the most appreciated artists (after Natalia Kills, Marina and Foxes, of course).

11.) Karmin – What’s in It for Me
Karmin’s album was the surprise of the year for me. I loved the lead single, Acapella last year, but I never imagined Pulses to be this good. The last song on the album, What’s in It for Me, for example is the 11th best song of the year for me (and it’s not the album’s peak on this chart) with its daring dance music, well-written lyrics and upbeat tunes.


10.) Marina & the Diamonds – Happy
I’m gonna kick off my top10 with the amazing, talented and beautiful Marina, who returned this year after a long break to release her new record in April. The second song released off the album, Happy is so beautiful, I cried when I first listened to it, but that’s quite usual when it comes to slow Marina-songs – Buy the Stars and Teen Idle both brought me to tears several times. Happy is a worthy successor of these two incredible records and deserves a 10th place on my chart.

9.) Lily Allen – Silver Spoon
I always say, a good song must either move my mind, my heart or my body. The best song off Lily’s newest album, Silver Spoon moves two of these. It moves my mind with its clever lyrics, which can be expected from the British singer, and it moves my body with its upbeat dance-pop tunes.

8.) Karmin – Drifter
When I first listened to Pulses, I had to stop at this song and listen to it several times before moving on because it caught me so much. This track can be described the best as a huge boost of confidence: whenever I hear it, I feel a thousand times better and cooler than I usually do. It’s smooth yet fast and kickass start breaks with the rap in the pre-chorus to give space to a huge breakthrough in the chorus. This is definitely the duo’s best one.

7.) Jennifer Lawrence – The Hanging Tree
When I read the book of Mockingjay, I always wondered how The Hanging Tree would sound like and I was very excited when I first heard that the latest Hunger Games movie will contain the song. However, the song exceeded my expectations: I love how they made it come alive: the music, the genre, Jennifer Lawrence’s way of singing it, and most of all, the role it plays in the movie: when the rebels sing in a choir and go to make the powerhouse explode. Just like We Remain last year, this wouldn’t be in the top10 without its backstory, but with it, it’s incredible.

6.) Lana Del Rey – Old Money
We’ve arrived to the second group of amazing songs off Ultraviolence. Old Money is a perfect song with its slow tune, short lines and perfect flow. I also love the fact that this one doesn’t break in at the chorus because it would ruin the nostalgic and lethargic atmosphere the verses create. One of the best songs of the year and one of the best songs of Lana as well.


5.) Lana Del Rey – Money Power Glory
The other half of the group of most incredible Lana-songs is Money Power Glory. When I first heard it, I think I had the biggest eargasm of my life. I love that – as opposed to Old Money – it does have a huge catharsis at the beginning of the chorus, which is perfectly balanced by the low verses.

4.) Imagine Dragons – Battle Cry
Imagine Dragons released two of the best songs of 2014, one of which is Battle Cry, which was recorded for the soundtrack of the new Transformers movie. I fell in love with its slow start and solid piano immediately, but what made it the 4th best song of the year for me was the deep drum that kicks in with the second half of the verse. The breakthrough of the chorus takes the song to even higher levels, and I can’t imagine how it could be taken higher than that. The track is so well-produced that it perfectly creates the atmosphere of a war, which adds to its incredible quality.

3.) Marina & the Diamonds – Froot
Marina’s return single, Froot didn’t catch me at first, but with time, I had to realise that the indie pop queen has created something amazing once again. The song builds up perfectly with the deep start and higher end of the verse, and finally, the fast and cheesy pre-chorus. The chorus is definitely the song’s peak when the extra instrument comes to the existing ones, the drum becomes more stressful and Marina strengthens her singing. The track’s lyrics deserve an applause as well – as we could expect from the British-Greek singer. Incredible job, Marina!

2.) Imagine Dragons – Warriors
The other incredible Imagine Dragons-song is Warriors, which is cathartic for the 100th listening as well. It starts solidly, but – to follow the path of Radioactive or Demons – it builds up for an outstanding chorus-breakthrough. Everything’s amazing about this one: the music with the perfect combination of piano, violins and guitars; the flow and I just love Dan Reynold’s voice. In fact, the only thing that I’m not fond of in the song is the guitar solo in the bridge, but I can forgive that because everything else is too good.

1.) Foxes – Holding Onto Heaven

And we’re here, at my #1 of 2014, which is Holding onto Heaven by Foxes. The British singer amazed me with every song she recorded for her debut album, but this one is very special, in my opinion. I am in loss of words when I have to describe this one: it is the perfect balance between sad and happy, between classical and modern and between alternative and mainstream. The harmonization of the piano and violin with the strong drums gives me the chills, the lyrics of the song have a special meaning to me and Foxes’ voice is outstanding. I have to say, I have tears in my eyes every time I listen to Holding onto Heaven, and I think that everyone should hear this song because it is so purely beautiful that no one will regret giving it a try. 

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése